Saturday, December 6, 2008

Journal 1 from UCLA

Well, Carol, Duane, Mac and Mom have just left. Carol has helped me set up this blog so I can keep everyone appraised of my goings on here. So....



I've been here about 2 and 1/2 weeks now. It's taken them a while to decide what to do with me. I'm not really that sick - especially compared to some of the people here - but I'm not really well enough to come home. They have me on a medicine (Dobutamine) that improves my heart function but it only comes in IV form; when they take me off, I start going back down hill again.



On friday, they informed me they're going to "give" me an LVAD (Left Ventricle Assist Devise). It's a small pump they implant below the heart that "assists" the left ventricle in pumping the blood throughout my body. When they first told me about it, it didn't sound like too much but now I've found out that I'll be having open heart surgery to have it. It's the same operation (so to speak) that I'll have when I get the transplant except they don't remove the heart; just "plug in" the pump.



I don't know how long I'll be in the hospital afterwards but it'll be a few weeks at least. The doctor told me I'll be feeling a lot better very soon after I get it and will be able to do just about anything I want afterwards. He said he's even had patients who took up hiking - just don't forget to take along extra batteries for the device!



That I DIDN'T tell you about. There will be a power cord from the devise, through the sking, to a battery pack I carry in a harness when I'm up moving around and into a stationary pack when I'm asleep or just laying around. The harness batteries are rechargeable and you have extra.



As this is a realitively new device, they have to send a team to Bakersfield to teach the hospitals, doctors, paramedics and fire department what to do should I have a problem I - or my caregivers - can't cope with. They'll teach me how to use and care for the devise before I go home but complications can always pop up. I have to have several back up caregivers; anyone interested



I'll close for this time as I'm tired now. All the excitment of having everyone here. I'll keep you posted as things happen. Love to all of you out there and thank you for your prayers

No comments: