Wednesday, December 17, 2008

UCLA Journal 7

When your mother wants to hug you but got a runny nose at lunch, she'll do just about anything to accomplish it. That included wearing a bag over your head.


As you can see, Mom, Mac and Duane made it down to see me again. They tried to do it yesterday, but Mother Nature has more "force" and Mom had to bow out - somewhat gracefully.


As you can see, I came through surgery successfullyand continue to make improvements. The day of my surgery was real busy but I remember little of it. The surgery started about 7:30 and they got me to my room about 3:00. The day is just a series of moments of awareness with longer periods of blankness. They pulled by breathibg tube about 7/8 o'clock. Shortly after, Mom called thr hospital for newson my recovery andthey put her through to me so she could hear me. She cried.


Sunday was a good day. They keep taking tubes out and with each one, I feel better and am able to do more. So far they've taken out 3 chest tubes, 2 out of my neck, 1 each out of the backs of each hand and one more I can't remember. Today they took out the cathitor and I'm now using the comode on my own. That doesn't sound like much - unless you've ever been confined to bed in a hospital. And anyone who has knows the sheer pleasure of being able to do so. Enough said.


I've had a little trouble with my breathing since they took out the last chest tube. It's like I'm having an asthma attack. The respitory therapist has been here twice sofar today and that's getting better.


I want to take time here to let all of you outthere know what a fantastic staff they have here at UCLA. They treat you like long lost and greatly missed family. My nurse last night volunteered to take the blanket the girls from my bible study class at the park and wash it. She brought it back this morning clean and ready to go. (She also brought me two egg mcmuffins after hearing me say yesterday that I'd do just about anything for one.) Now that's service abovr and beyond.


I was going to write more but I think I'll have to postpone it for anther day. My energy levels are dropping.

Goodnight for this tim e

Jini

2 comments:

Tristan said...

may you continue to heal and be comfortable!

Walt and Pam V said...

Jini,
So very glad to see your post and get some news from you. Mom called to give an update, but it is so good to "see" you and hear that you are doing better. We continue to pray for you, wish we could be there to give our hugs as well. Continue to be a good patient and we will be anxious to hear that you are planning on going home soon. Love you, Sis!

Walt